CROOK COUNTY, Ore. – A motorhome pulling a trailer carrying 100 gallons of methanol apparently suffered engine trouble and caught fire on Highway 126 Saturday morning, but the driver and his wife escaped injury, deputies reported.
Crook County Sheriff’s deputies were responding to milepost 14 on Highway 126 about 6:10 a.m., March 29 to a reported motor vehicle fire when they learned the 1990 Beaver Motorhome was pulling a trailer with the flammable and volatile alcohol that can be used as an alternative fuel or as a gasoline additive.
The highway was closed for a short period of time until the trailer was disconnected from the motorhome, Deputy Barry Seguin said. Fire and Rescue units quickly extinguished the fire, which the driver, 60-year old David Dahill of Prineville, noticed after the RV lost power.
Dahill and his wife, Belinda, 57, escaped without injury. The motorhome was towed from the scene, Seguin said.