REDMOND, Ore. – Officials evacuated and sealed off the Redmond High School gym on Friday after asbestos-tainted material was knocked off the ceiling by a tennis ball. The gym will remain closed until further notice.
Stephanie Curtis, the Redmond School District’s Communication Officer, said the tennis ball hit the ceiling and spray-on fire retardant fell to the gymnasium floor. After the area was evacuated, the district contacted Alpine Abatement and Paulson Environmental to make arrangements to clean and test the school to ensure it does not contain unacceptable levels of asbestos fibers.
"The safety of our students and staff is always our first concern and there is no reason to believe that anyone was at risk," states JB Demaris, Facilities Manager. "We are, however, proceeding under the standards we are required to follow for cleanup and testing in these types of incidents," he added.