LA PINE, Ore. – A La Pine woman has been issued a $1,551 penalty by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) for allegedly allowing the open burning of prohibited materials on property she rented at 15959 Jack Pine Loop Muller in the Deschutes County community.
The tenant, Patricia Sue Wishon, has appealed the penalty.
On Oct. 28, 2008, DEQ staff observed dark smoke that smelled like burning plastic rising about 300 to 400 feet into the air from the property. The materials that were openly burning included the contents of a demolished mobile home, several mattresses and some plastic tarps. DEQ staff also observed an individual throwing paneling onto the fire.
Toxic chemical exposure can result from the substances found in the materials burned by Wishon on the property. The dense and noxious smoke plumes they emit create a nuisance and pose a threat to the environment and public health, particularly the young, elderly and those with respiratory conditions.
The burning of any material that produces dense smoke and noxious odors is prohibited anywhere in Oregon. In addition to localized effects, each illegal open burn contributes to the cumulative amount of pollution in the atmosphere.