Greater Fort Lauderdale's Superior Small Lodgings program started in 1989, as an attempt to help small-hotel owners adapt from its days as a Spring Break mecca to the beach chic destination it is today. The collection of 72 distinctive owner-operated properties has released its annual lodgings directory for 2008. Tied together by high quality standards and an annual review, Superior Small Lodgings has a diverse array of properties, each with 50 rooms or fewer, located along prime beachfront as well as the Intracoastal Waterway.
The charming, informal ambience of these properties also brings additional value in the way of "live like the locals" tips for vacationers, including advice on can't-miss attractions and tucked away restaurants. Following is a sampling of Superior Small Lodgings properties throughout Greater Fort Lauderdale, including winter-season rates for each.
|FORT LAUDERDALE - Greater Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has 23 miles of sun-kissed beaches. Seen here is the city's beautiful convention center. CNS Photo courtesy of Greater Fort Lauderdale Conventions and Visitors Bureau. |
|BEACH FUN - There's no better way to relax, refresh, renew and reconnect than a day at one of the many beaches at Fort Lauderdale, Fla. CNS Photo courtesy of Greater Fort Lauderdale Conventions and Visitors Bureau. |
- Tropi Rock Resort - Featuring 31 themed rooms that have been transformed with an artistic touch, the Tropi Rock Resort offers a variety of accommodations, on-site fitness center, tennis courts, lush tropical gardens and pool. Located just steps from the beach, it's an ideal choice for those looking to enjoy the lively Fort Lauderdale beach. Winter daily rates begin at $107. For more information, visit www.tropirock.com.
- Pelican Place - Situated adjacent to family friendly Pompano Beach, Pelican Place lets guests feel right at home with studio, one- and two-bedroom accommodations. Homey amenities include fully equipped kitchens, free wireless Internet, barbecue area and pool. Winter weekly rates begin at $995 (less than $150 a night). For more information visit, www.4rentbythebeach.com.
- The DeSoto Oceanview Inn - Located on a barrier island in the middle of South Florida's largest mangrove preserve, the DeSoto is made for the eco-tourist. Neighboring Anne Kolb Nature Center offers hiking, boat tours and kayaking, and the property offers free bicycles to explore the surrounding areas. Winter daily rates start at $175. For more information, visit www.thedesoto.com.
- Estoril Paradise Inn - Nestled in Fort Lauderdale, the Estoril Paradise Inn is minutes from the area's best beaches, golf and shopping. Guests of the property can enjoy the social atmosphere of the property's pool and tiki bar while enjoying meeting new friends around the grill. From double bedrooms to two-bedroom suites, there are a variety of lodging options to choose from. Winter daily rates begin at $88. For more information, visit www.estorilparadiseinn.com.
- Hollywood by the Sea Bed and Breakfast - Combining the romantic ambience of a bed-and-breakfast with modern amenities like Wi-Fi Internet and Direct TV with more than 500 channels, the Hollywood by the Sea Bed and Breakfast welcomes visitors searching for "Old Florida." Twenty-five steps from the Atlantic Ocean, vacationers should make sure to wake up early for breakfast and try the property's delicious spinach omelet. Daily winter rates begin at $129. For more information visit www.hollywoodbytheseabandb.com.
- Villa Venezia - Set along Greater Fort Lauderdale's Intracoastal Waterway, Villa Venezia is a charming property that offers romantically designed accommodations and a picturesque backdrop of sailboats and yachts cruising by as you lounge by the tropical pool. Featured room amenities include flat-screen TVs, Wi-Fi and Jacuzzi tubs. Winter daily rates begin at $135. For more information, visit www.villa-venezia.com.
- Deerfield Buccaneer - Minutes from serene Deerfield Beach, the Deerfield Buccaneer offers an atmosphere ideal for some peaceful rest and relaxation. The property offers a variety of accommodations, heated pool and Jacuzzi, wireless high-speed Internet and putting green. Winter daily rates begin at $120. For more information, visit www.deerfieldbuccaneer.com.
- Manta Ray Inn - With Hollywood Beach literally located right outside your door, the Manta Ray Inn elicits feelings of nostalgia for those who remember the 1950's allure of Florida. Guests can choose from one and two-bedroom suites that include fully equipped kitchens and charming Rattan furniture. Easily interact with others around the property's pool or while enjoying a beach-side barbecue. Winter daily rated begin at $157. For more information visit www.mantarayinn.com.
To find out more about the program, visit www.sunny.org/ssl and request a free 2008 Superior Small Lodgings directory. This colorful, comprehensive guide provides detailed information on all the properties, including amenities, location and pricing.
FYI: For more information about Fort Lauderdale, contact the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention and Visitors Bureau at 800-22-SUNNY (227-8669) or visit www.sunny.org.
© Copley News Service