A cooking oil fire sparked a blaze in a Deschutes River Woods home Saturday evening, and spread to the living room when the homeowner tried to take the flaming pan outside, fire officials reported.
Bend Fire crews responded to the home of Justice Larimore at 19250 Sioux Lane in the Deschutes River Woods neighborhood about 7:20 p.m., January 26, Captain Karl Findling said. Upon arrival, firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire in the living room, including several points of ignition caused when the pan was carried through the area.
The home suffered heavy smoke damage, Findling said, and while damage estimates were still being tabulated, as of Sunday afternoon the approximate total was $30,000. No injuries were reported.
Findling reminded citizens to use medium temperature settings when cooking with oil, to have a properly-sized lid next to the area to smother a fire and to remove the pan from the heating source in case of ignition. “Keep a serviceable fire extinguisher and working smoke detectors in your home,” he advised.