A nearby illegal open burn spread to a vehicle and camp trailer parked next to the detached garage of a northeast Bend home Thursday morning, completely destroying them, officials reported.
According to Bend Fire Acting Battalion Chief Andy Hood, firefighters responded to 63308 Lamoine Lane about 8:15 a.m., March 13, to a report of a structure fire with flames and smoke showing from the west side exterior of the garage.
Ten firefighters from two engine companies were able to quickly extinguish the blaze before it spread to the structure, owned by Eloise Sweet and valued at $230,000, but the vehicle and camp trailer were a total loss. Hood estimated the damage at $3,000.
Hood reminded residents that a new city ordinance make outdoor burning illegal in almost all circumstances. “Debris burning within the city limits is only allowed for two weekend days in November, and only on land parcels two acres in size or larger,” he said. Residents must also obtain a written permit from a fire inspector prior to burning.
“As always, never leave a fire unattended and make sure it is out cold before leaving the area,” Hood continued.