BEND, Ore. -- Multiple alarms sounded, the downtown Bend mixed-use retail and office building was evacuated, and a nearby street was closed for more than two hours when tenants noticed the smell of Monday afternoon, fire officials reported.
|The Old Penny Galleria was evacuated Monday when tenants noticed the smell of smoke caused by a burned-out furnace fan motor.- loopnet.com photo |
More than two dozen firefighters responded to alarms at the Old Penny Galleria at 1012 NW Wall Street about 1:45 p.m., March 17, and found the building had already been evacuated, Bend Fire Batallion Chief Dave Howe said.
Several tenants of the 33,500 square foot building had noticed the smell of smoke, and a thorough search by fire crews turned up the source: a furnace fan motor that had “burned out”.
There was no fire and no damage, and all tenants were allowed back in the building by 3 p.m. A Bend Fire Department ladder truck blocked Oregon Avenue from Bond Street to Wall Street during the incident, Howe said.