BEND, Ore. – An accidental chemical spill in a Bend, Oregon, high school chemistry lab prompted an evacuation Wednesday when smoke began billowing out of an exhaust hood, officials announced.
|Mountain View High School - BLS photo |
According to a news release issued by Bend-La Pine Schools, a Mountain View High School chemistry teacher was cleaning the spill when smoke began billowing out of an exhaust hood. Students and faculty were evacuated from the area, and no injuries were reported.
A school custodian used a fire extinguisher prior to arrival of Bend Firefighers, who tested air quality to determine it safe for students to return.
All students returned safely to class, which is in a part of the school building at 2755 NE 27th Street soon slated to be demolished to make way for a new science classroom as part of a bond approved by voters in 2006, school officials said.