Poll: Today's Live Poll
Do you approve of the job President Obama and his administration are doing so far?
: Local News
: Owners of Rigoberto’s Taco Shop busted for alleged drug sales
Owners of Rigoberto’s Taco Shop busted for alleged drug sales
by Cheryl McDermott & BWNS
BEND, Ore. – Police say that two 23-year old brothers who own Rigoberto’s Taco Shop West are believed to have been “major sources” for both street and dealer-level sales of methamphetamine. The two were arrested Thursday after an extensive and lengthy joint investigation led to a raid on their homes and the popular eatery, and detectives seized $22,000 worth of meth, marijuana, over $37,800 in cash, six firearms and two vehicles.
Bend Police Lt. John Gautney, working with the Central Oregon Drug Enforcement (CODE) team, said police have been investigating the alleged distribution of meth through the restaurant at 1365 NW Galveston Avenue for months. Undercover officers had – several times – bought drugs directly from the owners, Damian and Julian Castaneda-Nino, the lieutenant stated in a news release.
CODE detectives, assisted by Deschutes County Sheriff’s deputies and their drug-detecting dog “Missy”, Oregon State Police troopers and Bend Police raided the restaurant and the brothers’ residences March 26 about 4 p.m.
During a search of the taco shop, Apartment #3 at 315 NW Bond Street and 19982 Cliffrose Drive, detectives discovered and seized more than five ounces of meth, two ounces of marijuana, weight scales and packaging materials, over $37,800 in cash, and six firearms. They also seized two pickup trucks, Gautney said.
“It was evident from their actions that Damian and Julian were a major source of methamphetamine at both the street level as well as the dealer level,” Lt. Gautney said, adding that the street value of the total meth seized during execution of the search warrants and the quantity purchased by the undercover officers is estimated at $22,000. “The dealer value would just be over $11,500.” he said.
The Castaneda-Nino brothers were arrested and lodged in the Deschutes County Jail. They are both charged with possession, delivery and manufacture of both methamphetamine and marijuana; as well as conspiracy to possess, deliver and manufacture meth. In addition, Damian is being held on a Deschutes County Parole and Probation detention warrant.
The investigation is continuing, Lt. Gautney said.
52690 times read
Did you enjoy this article?
(total 400 votes)
- Les agradeceria mucho que se tomaran la molestia de editar este articulo en espanol, pues
habemos personas que aun no creemos lo que esta pasando y nos interesa mucho saber sobre estos dos chicos y lo que pasara con ellos. (Posted on April 26, 2009, 10:48 am Sandra)
- If their open at 2 am who cares how the food is handled... I'm usually drunk anyways;) (Posted on April 4, 2009, 12:11 pm methadillo)
- Tortillas in a garbage bag? No dates on the food (I guess they just use the 'sniff test')? No food handlers licenses? Chri** all friday - this nauseates me. The couple times I tried to eat there, there was never an english speaking employee and my order was always wrong anyway. (Posted on April 4, 2009, 10:06 am gAg mE)
- Did you hear about the results of the latest health inspection done April 2? Five critical violations, eight non-critical violations = score of 73. New owner (Dad of arrested sons) may help, but I'm not going to eat there until a re-inspection shows a huge, huge improvement.
***NEITHER OF THE 2 EMPLOYEES PRESENT HAVE A FOOD HANDLER CARD. NO SUPERVISOR ON SITE.
***ANY FOOD OR SINGLE-SERVICE ARTICLES THAT WERE POSSIBLY CONTAMINATED BY THE PACKAGING OR STORAGE OF METHAMPHETAMINE MUST BE DISCARDED.
***READY-TO-EAT POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS FOODS ARE NOT DATE MARKED. THERE ARE NO DATES ON ANY FOODS.
***RAW SHELL EGGS ARE STORED ABOVE EXPOSED PEPPERS.
***TOXIC CHEMICALS ARE STORED ABOVE AND NEXT TO FOODS AND CLEAN TOWELS IN 3 DIFFERENT LOCATIONS.
***SEVERAL CLOTH TOWELS ARE STORED IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH READY TO EAT FOODS.
***TORTILLAS ARE STORED IN BLACK GARBAGE BAGS; ONIONS ARE STORED 2" OFF FLOOR IN A BAG.
***ICE SCOOP HANDLE IS BURIED IN ICE IN MACHINE.
***FRIG AND FREEZER RACKS ARE CORRODED, RUSTY, AND DIRTY.
***BLENDER UTENSIL DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE FOOD-GRADE.
***Nonfood-contact surfaces are not kept clean, specifically: THE COUNTERS, ALL CUTTING BOARDS AND ALL FOOD AND NON-FOOD CONTACT SURFACES, INCLUDING FLOORS, WALLS, AND CEILINGS. ALSO, THE WALK-IN CEILING AND EVAPORATOR FANGAURDS.
***NO HOT WATER IN MEN'S RESTROOM. ALSO, A WATER LINE ON CEILING IS DRIPPING ONTO FLOOR IN KITCHEN.
***KITCHEN AND PREP AREA IN BACK--LIGHTS ARE NOT PROTECTED.
(Posted on April 4, 2009, 9:50 am Holy Cow)
- I always wondered how these guys hop the border one day, travel to Oregon the next day, and a day latter open a thriving restaurant; I've been trying to do that for 20 years - still trying - Hey there's a restaurant available.... (Posted on April 4, 2009, 9:25 am August)
- Damn tweaks are the skum of the earth. DONT SMOKE METH! Marijuana is the way to go. (Posted on April 3, 2009, 10:39 am tweakville)
- ""LET THEM GO!!!!!!!!!! THESE TWO MAKE THE BEST CARNE ASADA BURRITOS ON THE WESTSIDE.""
Yeah, just what I want, some stupid meth head with a nose drip, that sell bags of that poison slop out the back door of his restaurant, preparing my food. Gak!
These two bit criminals employed illegal alien meth heads for cooks. These guys think employee benefits mean a 5 minute break.
Look, when ya see a conga-line of cockroaches crawling under their back door in broad day light, ya might wanna consider going to another restaurant. (Posted on April 3, 2009, 10:28 am Jigsaw John)
- OK now. If this were a little pot, yeah, ok. But meth? With all the problems associated with meth including increased crime and broken families, we don't need this in Bend. I've eaten there (loved it, by the way), and just don't want to believe this is true. But if it is, to the slammer they go . . . (Posted on April 2, 2009, 4:49 pm June)
- LET THEM GO!!!!!!!!!! THESE TWO MAKE THE BEST CARNE ASADA BURRITOS ON THE WESTSIDE. (Posted on April 1, 2009, 11:14 am BENDEHO)
- It's very upsetting to think that drugs were being handled in a restaurant that I frequently eat at. Has anyone else ever noticed the green and blue chemical puddles in their parking lot? (Posted on March 31, 2009, 8:17 pm Frank)
- Si habla espanol (Posted on March 31, 2009, 6:15 pm Hector)
- Was the father and sister arrested? This would definitely suck if Rigoberto's closed down. There's not many 24 hour food joints in town. (Posted on March 31, 2009, 10:19 am KAMM)
- It won't be long before cops serve a warrant on their Texas ranch too. More will continue to fall as the investigation is more than likely ongoing. Anyone that has done biz with Rigs should scatter. I saw a CODE vehicle several weeks ago across the street from Rigs while smoking a bowl before my morning breakfast burrito. CODE couldn't be anymore obvious. (Posted on March 31, 2009, 8:40 am No_Digity_Man)