Two residents of an Alfalfa home east of Bend escaped unharmed, but their home -- outside of any established fire district -- was a complete loss following a fire that began in the garage early Sunday morning.
Instead of any fire department, Deschutes County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched shortly after 6 a.m. March 4 to 25211 Deer Lane in response to a report of a structure fire. The home, said Lt. Deron McMaster, was completely engulfed in flames when they arrived, and had briefly spread to a nearby tree, power pole, and grass.
The tenants were asleep in an upstairs bedroom above the garage when they were awakened to the smell of smoke. The couple used a metal escape latter stowed under their bed to escape out of a bedroom window, McMaster said.
The home at 25211 Deer Lane in Alfalfa, east of Bend and outside any established fire district, was a complete loss in Sunday’s fire.
Neighbors and family members worked to prevent the fire from spreading any further to adjacent structures and trees, and High Desert Water Hauling brought a water truck to the scene and assisted with extinguishing the fire.
The home and its contents were a total loss, the lieutenant said. The Red Cross was contacted and responded to provide assistance to the family.