An agricultural fire that escaped into a neighboring property burned two and one-half acres and a utility pole in southeast Bend this afternoon, officials reported.
Bend Fire crews were dispatched to a reported brush fire at 22324 McArdle Road just before 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, Fire Inspector Cindy Kettering said.
Upon arrival, firefighters found an escaped agricultural burn moving north onto a neighboring property, burning brush in fields adjacent to a residence and setting afire a Central Electric Company utility pole.
Ten firefighters and a water tender were able to keep the blaze from damaging any nearby structures, and contained the fire to about 2.5 acres, said Kettering. There were no injuries reported.
The out-of-control blaze prompted Kettering to remind the community that taking simple precautions when burning can prevent escaped fires. She offered the following safety tips:
- Create a fire break by clearing a 10 foot perimeter outside the fire.
- Have adequate fire suppression equipment, such as a hose and shovel, next to the fire at all times.
- A responsible person must be at the fire at all times. Never leave a fire unattended.
- Obtain a copy of the outdoor burning regulations for your area.
- Call the burning information number for your area before you burn. For the Bend area, the number is 322-6335.
“In addition,” Kettering said, “please remember that burning is still prohibited within the city limits of Bend.”