Bend Fire Officials have determined that an overloaded extension cord used to power an upright freezer was the origin of a structure fire causing $60,000 in damage at a southwest Bend home Monday afternoon.
At about 2 pm on July 24th, a passer-by reported smoke and flames coming from the windows of a single family wood home at the intersection of SW Roosevelt and SW Pelton.
Upon arriving at the scene, the 12 responding Bend Fire personnel controlled the fire quickly and kept it from spreading further in the house. The fire caused significant damage to a laundry room, and smoke damage throughout the rest of the home. No one was home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported.
According to Battalion Chief Bill Boos, the extension cord powering the freezer was a much smaller gauge wire than that of the actual freezer cord, and it did not have a ground wire. It appeared that the connection between the freezer wire and extension cord may also have been pinched, further contributing to the failure of the cord.
Chief Boos cautions residents to only use listed extension cords for temporary or portable appliances, to follow all manufacturers guidelines, and to ensure that any extension cord is the same gauge wire as the appliance powered. Bend Oregon