An alert passerby who noticed a fire burning the wood shingle roof of a home in south Bend Wednesday afternoon alerted the homeowner who was able to douse it with a garden hose and keep it from spreading before firefighters arrived and extinguished the blaze, officials reported.
Bend firefighters responded to the single-story home of George Morton at 60818 Granite Drive about 3:20 p.m., May 30, Captain Jeff Dufour wrote in a news release. Crews completely extinguished the fire and removed burning material from the roof.
Inspectors determined that the fire began when a damaged antenna wire caused an electrical arc.
A small area of the roof was affected, Dufour said, estimating $5,000 in damage to the $300,000 structure.