A good Samaritan passing by a southeast Bend home Monday night noticed flames and smoke, called 911 and notified the homeowner that his deck was on fire, allowing all the residents to escape safely. Fire inspectors believe that a hot tub on the home’s upper level deck sparked the blaze that caused an estimated $35,000 damage.
According to Bend Fire inspector Dan Derlacki, over a dozen firefighters responded to the home of David Hart at 61103 Ferguson Court in Bend about 10:40 p.m., July 16. When they arrived, they found Hart was trying to use a garden hose to battle the blaze. Fire crews quickly knocked down the fire, Derlacki said, which prevented it from extending any further into the two-story structure. The fire began on the deck and spread to the exterior siding. Glass doors to an adjacent bedroom were shattered by the heat, but the fire didn’t spread into the home, the inspector said.
The home, valued at $600,000, received an estimated $20,000 in damages with an additionala $15,000 in loss to contents, Derlacki said.
The inspector reminds all residents to utilize preventative maintenance on all electronics including hot tubs. “This can help prevent fires, shock hazards, and slow the wear and tear of use,” he said.