A northeast Bend home sustained only an estimated $15,000 in damage to the structure, and $10,000 loss in contents Wednesday when firefighters were able to confine the blaze to the master bedroom. A passer-by summoned the Bend Fire Department and reported smoke coming from the rear of the single-family home at 2121 NE Butler Market Road about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, September 13.
17 Bend Fire Department personnel responded to the scene and were admitted to the house by the owners, Chris and Tava Kaufmann, who had returned home.
According to Fire Inspector Dan Derlacki, no one was at home when the fire started and no injuries occurred. The most probable cause of the fire is believed to be an electrical failure in the master bedroom, said Derlacki.
The American Red Cross was on scene to assist the family.