A double-wide manufactured home was completely destroyed by fire late Thursday night, but the occupants were awakened by the hissing of a medical oxygen tube near the bed and were able to escape safely, officials said.
According to Deputy Fire Marshal Susie Lovisco with Bend Fire, more than two dozen fire personnel responded to space # 114 at 1001 SE 15th Street about 11:15 p.m. to find the home fully involved with smoke and flames.
Examination of the fire scene determined that the most probable cause of the blaze was an unattended candle left burning in the master bedroom, which ignited nearby combustibles.
Losses were estimated at $150,000 to the building, $100,000 to the contents and $5,000 to a vehicle and it’s contents. The owner, A. Riley Clinton was insured. Minor damage was sustained by two homes adjacent to the manufactured home, said Lovisco.
Though the home had a working smoke alarm, it was not located in the bedroom where the fire originated. Bend Fire & Rescue reminds all citizens to install working smoke alarms on every level of the house and in each sleeping room.
One of the occupants sustained some minor singing on his facial hair, but refused medical treatment. The American Red Cross is providing assistance for the family.