A Bend man performing mechanical repairs on a motorhome he used as a full-time residence suffered minor injuries, but his recreational vehicle and its contents were completely destroyed by a fire that ignited as he was working on the vehicle’s fuel pump.
Bend Fire and Rescue responded about 9:40 a.m. Wednesday, September 27 to an alarm at 21425 Butler Market Road in Bend. Crews found a 1974 RV parked on the side of a home owned by Jack Stewart at the same address, fully involved in fire.
According to Fire Inspector Dan Derlacki, the fire was quickly extinguished and crews were able to limit damage to the adjacent home. Pacific Power crews were called in to secure a power line that dropped to the ground during the fire.
Mike Brophy was testing a new fuel pump he had installed in the motorhome, and was getting gas to the carburetor when fuel spilled out and ignited. Brophy received only minor burns and was treated at the scene.
The American Red Cross was on scene to assist the motorhome owner with lodging for the night.
The motorhome and contents, valued at $5,000 and $2,500 respectively, were a complete loss and the owner was not insured, said Derlacki. The home, which was insured, sustained approximately $1,000 in damage.