LOS ANGELES -- The driver of a pickup truck has been cleared as a suspect in one of the wildfires that raged through Southern California last month.
Authorities in Orange County had been looking for the owner of a white Ford truck in connection with the Santiago fire, which consumed 15 homes and more than 28,500 acres and was still burning Thursday.
The Orange County Register said the driver had cooperated with investigators and was eliminated as a suspect in the arson fire.
Meantime, a 10-year-old boy admitted setting the Buckweed fire in Los Angeles County. The Los Angeles Times said authorities were considering possible criminal charges.
The youngster, whose name has not been released, was living in a trailer at a facility for disabled children where one of his parents worked as a caretaker, the Times reported. He reportedly admitted he started the blaze accidentally while playing with matches.
The battle against the remnants of the wildfires continued Thursday. Crews reported steady progress on all fronts. A mild Santa Ana wind condition was expected to build in the region during the weekend.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.