LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- KFC alleges in a federal lawsuit that a supplier provided the U.S. restaurant chain with food packages that ignited when reheated in a microwave.
KFC spokesman Rick Maynard said the popcorn chicken packages supplied by Paris Packaging of Paris, Texas, have all been pulled from all KFC locations following complaints that they were flammable, the Louisville (Ky.) Courier-Journal said Wednesday.
Maynard said no injuries were reported as a result of the food packaging.
KFC, a unit of Yum! Brands Inc., said in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court Friday that Paris Packaging refused to reimburse the company for the allegedly flammable packages.
The restaurant chain is seeking at least $757,000 in compensation, along with other unspecified financial damages, the Courier-Journal said.
KFC is also seeking a ruling by U.S. District Judge John G. Heyburn II that would free the company from any legal liability related to damage caused as a result of the packages, which allegedly contain combustible ink.
Copyright © 2009, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.