DURHAM, N.C. - The North Carolina prosecutor who wrongly accused three former Duke University lacrosse players of rape has apologized to them.
District Attorney Mike Nifong's apology came one day after state Attorney General Roy Cooper threw out the charges against the former college athletes and called Nifong a "rogue prosecutor," the Raleigh New & Observer reported Friday.
Nifong, who faced a State Bar hearing Friday on ethics charges jeopardizing his law license, said he didn't have access to all the evidence that cleared the young men who had been accused by dancer hired to perform at an off-campus party.
"To the extent that I made judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect, I apologize to the three students that were wrongly accused," Nifong said, the News & Observer reported. "It is my sincere desire that the actions of Attorney General Cooper will serve to remedy any remaining injury that has resulted from these cases."
Cooper on Wednesday dismissed sexual assault charges against Dave Evans, 24, of Bethesda, Md., Collin Finnerty, 20, of Garden City, N.Y., and Reade Seligmann, 21, of Essex Fells, N.J.
He said they were victims of an overzealous prosecutor.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.