Weekly News via Email
   Set as homepage | Add to favorites | Customer Service | Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us | Sitemap Wednesday, 08.20.2014
Classifieds
News Archive
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
 1  2  3
 4  5  6  7  8  9  10
 11  12  13  14  15  16  17
 18  19  20  21  22  23  24
 25  26  27  28
Online Extras
Site Services
Around Bend
Outdoor Fun
Travel Info
Shop Local




Members Of



Poll: Today's Live Poll
Email to a friend | Print this | PDF version | Comments (0 posted) 
  Blogger |   del.icio.us |   digg |   newsvine

Feb 02,2007
CPSC warns of deadly fire and CO dangers from supplemental heating sources
by Bend Weekly News Sources

With winter storms and cold weather impacting much of the country, the need for supplemental heating is on the rise. Continued reports of deaths and injuries associated with alternative heating products prompts the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) again to warn consumers to exercise extreme caution when using space heaters, kerosene heaters, and fireplaces.

 
On January 17, a 1-year-old, Westmoreland, N.Y., girl was killed when a space heater in her room ignited a fire. Her mother, while trying to rescue the child, received burns to her hands, arms and face. In another recent incident, a Tarrant City, Ala., couple was killed when embers from their fireplace ignited a fire that spread throughout the home.

"There are nearly 25,000 fires and 140 deaths on average each year from portable heaters, fireplaces and chimneys," said CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord. "Use these products properly and have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to help keep your family safe this winter."

Home heating equipment is one of the most common causes of residential structure fires, second only to cooking fires. Portable heaters, including space heaters, are the leading cause of deaths in home heating equipment- related fires. Space heaters can cause fires if they are placed too close to flammable materials such as drapes, furniture or bedding. Fireplaces can cause fires if the chimney is cracked, blocked or coated with creosote, or if sparks and embers reach flammable materials.

Also, carbon monoxide (CO) from gasoline-powered generators that may be used during winter weather-related power outages can kill in minutes. Consumers should never use a generator, charcoal or gas grill in an enclosed area. In addition, fuel-burning appliances can cause carbon monoxide poisoning if they are improperly installed, poorly maintained, have defective or blocked venting systems, or are misused.

To help prevent deaths and injuries, CPSC urges consumers to:

  *  Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
 
  *  Install battery-operated CO and smoke alarms in your home. Locate CO alarms outside the bedrooms in each separate sleeping area. Locate smoke alarms on each level of the house and inside every bedroom.
 
  *  Replace smoke and CO alarm batteries in the spring and fall when you change the time on your clocks.
 
  *  If an alarm sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
 
  *  Seek medical attention immediately if you are feeling dizzy, lightheaded or nauseous. These are symptoms of CO poisoning.
 
  Fireplaces:
  *  Have flues and chimneys inspected before each heating season for leakage and blockage by creosote (an oily deposit that readily ignites) or debris.
 
  *  Open the fireplace damper before lighting the fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. Never close the damper if the ashes are still warm. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
 
  *  Store fireplace ashes in a fire resistant container and cover it with a lid. Keep the container outdoors and away from combustibles.
 
  *  Never use flammable liquid to start a fire.
 
  Space heaters:
  *  Place the heater on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Keep the heater at least three feet from bedding, drapes, furniture and other flammable materials. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
 
  *  To reduce the risk of fire, NEVER leave a space heater on when you go to sleep or place a space heater close to any sleeping person. Turn the space heater off if you leave the area. Never use extension cords to power electric heaters.
 
  *  Use a space heater that has been tested to the latest safety standards and certified by a nationally-recognized testing laboratory. These heaters will have the most up-to-date safety features. A newer gas space heater that meets current safety standards will shut off if oxygen levels fall too low.
 
  Charcoal grills:
  *  NEVER burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or campers. Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided.


1877 times read

Related news
Bend Fire Offers Safety Tips on Cold Weather Fires in Homes by Bend Weekly News Sources posted on Nov 02,2006

Fire Safety In Home Heating Is A Priority As Weather Cools by Bend Weekly News Sources posted on Oct 02,2006

Oregon Households Without Power Can Keep Warm, Safely by Bend Weekly News Sources posted on Dec 22,2006


Make Fire Safety a Holiday Priority, says Oregon State Fire Marshal by Bend Weekly News Sources posted on Dec 22,2006

Did you enjoy this article? Rating: 5.00Rating: 5.00Rating: 5.00Rating: 5.00Rating: 5.00 (total 16 votes)

Market Information
Breaking News
Most Popular
Most Commented
Featured Columnist
Horoscope Guide
Aquarius Aquarius Libra Libra
Aries Aries Pisces Pisces
Cancer Cancer Sagittarius Sagittarius
Capricorn Capricorn Scorpio Scorpio
Gemini Gemini Taurus Taurus
Leo Leo Virgo Virgo
Local Attractions
Bend Visitors & Convention Bureau
Bend Visitors & Convention Bureau

Mt. Bachelor Resort
Mt. Bachelor Resort

Les Schwab Ampitheater
Les Schwab Ampitheater

Deschutes County Fairgrounds
Deschutes County
Fairgrounds

Tower Theatre
Tower Theatre

The High Desert Museum

Advertisements



Deschutes County

Google  
  Web    BendWeekly.com
© 2006 Bend Weekly News
A .Com Endeavors, Inc. Company.
All Rights Reserved. Terms under
which this service is provided to you.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Contact us.
Bend Weekly News & Event Guide Online
   Save the Net
Advertisement
External sites open in new window,
not endorsed by BendWeekly.com
Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Add to Google Add to MSN Add to My AOL
What are RSS headlines?