Bend-La Pine Schools to serve more than 31,000 meals this summer
The Bend-La Pine Schools Summer Lunch Program will kick off June 18 at ten locations throughout Bend and La Pine. The program, which is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture, expects to serve more than 31,000 nutritious meals to children during summer vacation.
“School lunches are the main source of nutrition for many students,” said Terry Cashman, director of Nutrition Services for Bend-La Pine Schools. “In our district, 35 percent of students receive free or reduced-price meals. That's more than 5,1000 students. School may be out for the summer, but we still need to make sure kids have a healthy meal a day.”
Free lunches will be offered Monday through Friday until August 24. All children, ages 18 and younger, are welcome to receive a lunch at no cost. Lunches include a sandwich or hot entree, fruit, vegetable, low fat milk, and an occasional dessert. Parents are encouraged to attend, and may bring their own lunches, but cannot eat any of their child's lunch. However, parents may purchase a meal of their own for $3. Registration is not needed to participate.
The summer lunch program will take place at the following locations from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., except at the Boys & Girls Club-Ariel, which is from noon to 1 p.m. Meals will be served Monday through Friday from June 18 to August 24. Lunch will not be available on July 4.
* Bear Creek Elementary School playground, 51 SE 13th St., Bend
* Boys & Girls Club-Downtown, 500 NW Wall St., Bend (closed Aug. 24)
* Boys & Girls Club-Ariel, 1707 SE Tempest Drive, Bend (closed Aug. 24)
* Jewell Elementary School east entrance, 20550 Murphy Road, Bend
* Juniper Elementary School, 1300 NE Norton Ave., Bend
* Kiwanis Park, 800 SE Centennial St., Bend
* Larkspur Park, 1700 SE Reed Market Road, Bend
* Stover Park, 1650 NE Watson Drive, Bend
* La Pine Elementary School front playground, 51615 Coach Road, La Pine
* Discoveryland Preschool, 16629 Burgess Road, La Pine
The “Lunch and Learn” summer reading program is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Stover Park, Juniper Elementary, Kiwanis Park and Jewell Elementary from June 25 through August 3; and at Ariel Glen Boys & Girls Club and La Pine Elementary from June 25 to August 17.