Fourteen people were transported to five different hospitals last night after they became ill while in or near the swimming pool at the Embassy Suites near the Portland airport, authorities reported.
About 8:20 p.m. Saturday, Portland Fire and Rescue personnel were called to the motel at 7900 NE 82nd Avenue when people complained of nausea, vomiting, and respiratory distress symptoms.
Upon arrival, rescue personnel called in the haz-mat (hazardous materials) team, plus additional fire and emergency medical technicians when they found there were 13 juveniles and two adults who were stricken.
|Embassy Suites near the Portland Airport |
According to a news release, 23 fire department personnel and 12 paramedics responded to the scene with five ambulances.
The 15 patients were treated on scene, and 14 were ultimately transported to five different area hospitals. Their conditions are unknown at this time.
Haz-Mat teams investigated a chemical smell described by the afflicted patients, taking chemical samples and monitoring the air. The chemicals were found to be muriatic acid and sodium hypochlorite, which, when mixed, cause a hazardous vapor or gas to form.
Crews remained on scene for three hours to ventilate and monitor the pool area. It was then released back to Embassy Suites. Authorities are unaware if the hotel has reopened the pool.