BAGHDAD -- Iraq's Joint Multi-National Force denied reports by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense the body of a kidnapped U.S. soldier had been found.
MNF Media Coordinator Janah Hamoud said Monday the center had made no such statement, and said officials were seeking an explanation from the ministry as to why they made the announcement during the weekend.
A ministry spokesman said the body of the soldier was found 35 miles north of Hella and four suspects had been arrested, Kuwait's KUNA news agency reported.
On May 12, an insurgent ambush of a U.S. patrol south of Baghdad resulted in the deaths of four U.S. troops and an Iraqi translator. Three U.S. soldiers were also abducted and the U.S. military posted a $200,000 reward for information their fates.
The body of one of the soldiers was found 10 days later and while a militant group made Internet claims it had executed all three, the other two remain listed as missing in action, the report said.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.