NICOSIA, Cyprus -- A 2-year-old British girl on holiday with her family in Cyprus was hospitalized after drinking detergent mixed with orange juice.
Annabelle Rhodes suffered severe burns to her mouth and esophagus after she was accidentally served the drink Saturday at the Curium Palace Hotel in Limassol, The Times of London reported Tuesday. She was listed in critical but stable condition at the Makarios Hospital in Nicosia.
Local media reported the girl had asked for an orange squash -- a mixture of orange and lemon juices -- at the beach-side hotel. Police said it appeared a bartender unknowingly mixed orange juice with a dishwasher detergent stored in a small plastic bottle at the bar.
Copyright © 2008, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.