LIVERPOOL, England - A woman in England could receive up to nearly $10 million after being injected by mistake with cleaning fluid while giving birth, it was reported.
The Daily Mail reported that Angelique Sutcliffe of Liverpool was left paralyzed after being given an epidural injection contaminated with the hospital cleaning fluid chlorhexidine, which is used as a hospital antiseptic.
The Appeal Court in London ruled this week that she could seek compensation, the newspaper reported.
"Your clients have absolutely no explanation as to how this happened," one of the judges told lawyers representing the hospital. "A very serious mistake was made."
After the appeal was dismissed by a three-judge panel, Sutcliffe, 47, burst into tears and hugged her family and friends gathered at the court, the newspaper said.
© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.