Kidnapped aid worker feared dead
KABUL, Afghanistan -- A U.S. aid worker and her Afghan driver kidnapped in Afghanistan last month are feared dead, their aid group said.
Meanwhile, military officials said two Polish solders in NATO-led troops were killed and another injured by a roadside bomb, CNN reported Wednesday. The bombing was Tuesday in Paktika province along the Pakistan border.
The worker, Cyd Mizell, and her driver, Muhammad Hadi, were taken Jan 26 by gunmen from a residential neighborhood in Kandahar province. Mizell, born in California, worked on projects designed to help women and families generate income.
In a statement on its Web site, the Asian Rural Life Foundation, Mizell's employer, said it was "deeply grieved to report the apparent deaths."
"Although we have no confirmation of their deaths, we have received information over the past few days indicating that our two aid workers have been killed," the statement said.
Kandahar provincial authorities said they couldn't confirm the report. The Afghanistan Interior Ministry told CNN it was investigating and couldn't verify the statement either.
No group has taken responsibility for the kidnapping.
Copyright © 2008, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.
541 times read
Did you enjoy this article?
(total 43 votes)