SYDNEY - Beach-goers in Sydney say they are taking some precautions at area beaches following a third shark attack during the last month.
The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Monday this weekend's shark attack on a 15-year-old boy at Avalon Beach came in the wake of similar attacks on a 33-year-old surfer and a navy diver.
Both the teenager and the surfer managed not to lose any appendages in their attacks, but a shark claimed a hand and leg from the navy diver.
While such incidents have not stopped area residents from visiting Sydney beaches, beach-goers admitted to the ABC they were concerned about the potentially deadly animals.
"My mother and my father everybody they're worried because they don't know that we don't have that in our country so that's why you know, they always check, 'Oh you know be careful, don't lose your arm or don't lose that.' But you never know what can happen," one unidentified male beach-goer said.
"If I don't go out too far and there's sort of other people further out then I am then I'm not too cautious about it," an anonymous female beach-goer told ABC.
© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.