TRIPOLI, Lebanon - U.N. officials delivering aid to a Lebanese refugee camp where extremists have been fighting government troops waited to see if a cease-fire would hold.
Thousands of Palestinian civilians are trapped inside the camp near Tripoli without power or water, and the U.N. supplies were still outside Tuesday afternoon, The New York Times reported.
The Lebanese government said at least 60 people had been killed since the army and the extremist Fatah al-Islam group began fighting Sunday.
Lebanese television stations have reported that the dead militants included fighters from Bangladesh, Yemen and other Arab countries. Fatah al-Islam has denied allegations that it is part of the al-Qaida terror network.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he considers the actions "an attack on Lebanon's stability and sovereignty," his spokeswoman said.
Humanitarian groups said they were concerned about the 30,000 residents of the Nah al-Bared refugee camp. The Red Cross evacuated 16 wounded residents from the camp during a two-hour case-fire Monday. Lebanon's official news agency said Fatah al-Islam broke the cease-fire.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.