MELBOURNE - A fugitive Australian gunman, suspected in the killing of a man who was trying to assist a woman being attacked, has surrendered to police.
The suspect, Christopher Hudson, 29, walked into the police station in Wallan, about 30 miles north of Melbourne and was arrested without incident.
Police spokesman Glenn Weir told reporters "we're really happy that it has ended peacefully" and that pleas by Hudson's father for his son to surrender "was of tremendous benefit to us."
Hudson had been on the run since early Monday after allegedly killing solicitor Brendan Keilar, 43, and seriously wounding two others -- 24-year-old model Kara Douglas and 25-year-old Dutch tourist Paul de Waard.
Keilar and de Waard had gone to the assistance of Douglas while she was being beaten, allegedly by the suspect.
Police said Hudson was being returned to Melbourne to be charged with murder and "several other offenses."
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.