CARDIFF, Wales -- Vandals who ransacked a Welsh youth club cooked an animal believed to be a small rodent in a microwave oven.
The Tongwynlais Youth Club in a village near Cardiff had been closed for months, undergoing repairs after a previous episode of vandalism. It had been scheduled to reopen in September.
Now, local officials say its future is uncertain, the South Wales Echo reported. Sometime between Monday and Wednesday, a group broke in and smeared dog excrement on the carpets and paint on the walls and stole or destroyed equipment. A barbecue was removed from the club and dumped in the woods.
Investigators are unsure if the animal was put in the microwave alive.
"I've cried my eyes out this morning," said Linda Morgan, a member of the ward council who helped raise money to refurbish the club. "We've all been working so hard to make things better for this community and I'm completely devastated by this. To think that someone has microwaved an animal is completely horrendous."
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.