You've heard that when you get dressed, it's what you leave off that makes an outfit work. That's not always true, especially at this time of year when the more bling the better. After all, we're ringing in a new year.
But you don't have to spend a fortune to look like a million dollars. All you need to put together a glamour girl wardrobe is some sparkle and polish. Go all out and brighten up those winter days and nights. Yes, you need to add a little glitz to your days too.
|PARTY READY - Glittering dresses are the easiest way to instill glamour into your party life for the new year. CNS Photo courtesy T.J. Maxx. |
Here's how to get your shine on:
- For instant glitter, go for the attention-getting dress. You know the one: The silver or gold metallic tank dress with the jewels glistening at the neck. It's a fast way to chic. You'll glow in the dark and not get lost in the all-black crowd. For daytime, choose a lurex sweater and team with trouser-style jeans.
- Sequins are another way to shine, whether they're on skirts, sweaters or even handbags. For the bling-phobic, a little sprinkling of sequins can go a long way in adding sparkle to that festive part of your wardrobe. A sequined scarf wrapped around your neck can be a real dazzler.
- Big jewels are also a girl's best friend. Large crystals or faux gemstones are ringing in the new year around many necklines. And if your top isn't embellished with the latest emerald-shaped stones, do your own ring of bling with a statement-making necklace.
- Do the mega-bling thing with earrings. While you might wear your pearl studs to the office, it's time to light up with the over-the-top chandeliers that are dripping with style and shine when making an entrance for a special occasion.
- Major bracelets are also great for flashing a little bling when you're cruising around a party room with a drink in your hand. Ditto for the stunning cocktail ring that is big and bold.
- And of course, who doesn't like shoes that shine. We all learned a lesson from Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz"; her ruby red slippers magically unlocked the keys to her dreams. You can do strappy gold sandals or slinky silver slippers - red sequins will also do. But no matter what you wear, shiny shoes will give you plenty of delightful fashion fun, even if you're not in the land of Oz.
Sharon Mosley is a former fashion editor of the Arkansas Gazette in Little Rock and executive director of the Fashion Editors and Reporters Association.
© Copley News Service