Summer is usually the time we let down our hair and ease up on all the fashion rules. But there are a few blaring blunders we should all avoid even if we're just lounging around the pool or flip-flopping down a city street.
Here are a few "don'ts" to keep in mind when you're chilling out:
- Don't battle the bulge in your swimsuit. Yes, I know that most of us have a few parts of our body that are not perfect, but skimpy swimsuits are not what you want to wear if you've spent most of last year gorging on fast food while you were going through a nasty divorce. Instead of letting it all hang out, shop for swimwear that accentuates the positive and covers up the rest.
|KEEP IT SIMPLE - Don't make the mistake of overdressing in the hot summer months. Pare down to cool basics like white shorts, printed T-shirts and minimal accessories. CNS Photo courtesy of Tommy Bahama.|
- Ditto for cleavage, bellybuttons, hairy chests, etc. These may be fine to bare at the beach, but when you're at work, and yes, everyone know it's hot, the summer heat is still no reason to flash your professional peers with that more "revealing" side of your personality.
- Don't be a streaker. Oh, this is one of my personal pet peeves. The fake tan that screams "I did this in a hurry and I didn't check the backs of my legs in the mirror." Thanks, but for those of us walking behind you, it's really tough not to let you in on the fact that Miss Blotchy missed a few spots.
- Don't forget your feet. Yes, they are even more important in the summer, when you're wearing sandals and other slip-ons that expose those toes. Let's face it - our toes are probably not the most attractive parts of our bodies. But a regular visit to the manicurist - even for guys - can make a big difference, especially during those barefootin' days.
And just because your toes are all buffed and fluffed doesn't mean you can wear your old beat-up Birkies from 10 years ago. Come on, a new pair of flip-flops is cheap, cheap, cheap.
- Don't forget to go undercover. Especially if you're wearing white shorts or pants. Now, the rules have really relaxed about wearing colored bras under white tanks and shirts, but wearing printed or dark underwear under white shorts is still a big no-no.
The wrong bra can also be a big blooper worn under tight-fitting tank tops and T-shirts. Does the word "uni-boob" come to anyone's mind? Make sure you keep them under wraps when you wear a halter top too.
- Don't pile it on. The accessories, makeup, and clothes that is. When you're dripping in bangles, baubles and beads, it's just not a "cool" look in the hot, sticky weather. The same is true for heavy makeup and all-over sequins. Pare everything down, and you'll feel a lot better with just your shades and a wooden bracelet or two.
Sharon Mosley is a former fashion editor of the Arkansas Gazette in Little Rock and executive director of the Fashion Editors and Reporters Association.
© Copley News Service