The new black is - black. And it's back in all its dark glory this fall on the fashion runways. But it's anything but basic this time around. Black has put on a fresh fashion face and it's got a whole new edgy vibe. Think feathers, think fur, think fun. You'll really be ready when the party season rolls around. Here's the must-have black list for the new shopping season:
- The black eye: The fall catwalks were filled with models strutting - yes, the new cat eyes painted on with liquid black eyeliner - a staple of this season's trendsetting makeup kit. The newest way to wear the smoky liner? A little stroke up on the end of the lid.
|BLACK IS BACK - Black from head to toe is a fashion staple this fall updated with mixed textures all worn together. CNS Photo courtesy of Banana Republic. |
- The black laminated dress: The newest little black dress? A black rubber shift dress a la 1970. The occasion has to be special to wear this new black number - perhaps best saved for a rainy day?
- The black feather skirt: Leave it to Prada to come up with this new innovation that has to be a dry cleaner's nightmare. Take your choice - the black rooster feather skirt - or the black plastic feather skirt.
- The black biker's jacket: Longer and leaner, it's a takeoff on the classic 1950s leather jacket that has been around in wardrobes for years. This time look for cinched-in waists and longer knee-lengths. Perfect to wear over your bright red mini dress.
- The black shiny handbag: A patent leather plus. The black handbag shimmers in this reincarnate finish - and it might be the one item you need to give instant style to your fall wardrobe - no matter what color you happen to be wearing. For evening, go for a sleek clutch in black.
- The black tights: Oh, do we like these. Anyone, any age looks good in black, especially in black opaque tights. They cover up a multitude of varicose veins and make your legs look lean and mean. If you only buy one thing this fall, make it a pair of black tights. They'll go with everything.
- The black hat: Yes, hats are back and roaring from the 1920s into the next century, all thanks to the little black cloche that hugged the heads of flappers and once again is getting the fashion trendsetters nod of approval. This is one you'll have to try on; it's not for the fashion faint of heart.
- The black shoe: Another not-so-basic black accessory, but one that we all can easily work into our wardrobes whether it's a high heel shoe boot, a lace-up oxford or a Mary Jane peep-toe.
- The black elbow-length glove: Another timeless classic that will go with everything from your workday coat to the cocktail dress. If you really want a dressed-up version of the opera glove, go for fur or feathers on the cuff.
- The black velvet evening gown: You too can be just as scandalous as Madame X. Just choose a classic style in this slinky luxe fabric and throw a little fur boa over it; they'll all be talking about you for years.
Sharon Mosley is a former fashion editor of the Arkansas Gazette in Little Rock and executive director of the Fashion Editors and Reporters Association.
© Copley News Service