Nov 13,2007 00:00
A Tumalo-area farm-owner who thought a fire from burning yard debris two days earlier was completely extinguished was surprised when the pile reignited on Monday morning, and an ember traveled over 60-feet to set a hay shed on fire and burn over a dozen bales of hay.
Bend Fire sent one engine company, one water tender, and one wildland company to 65725 Gerking Market Road, a Tumalo-area farm off Cline Falls Highway owned by William Gardner, about 10:30 a.m. on November 12.
A hay shed valued at $5,000 received about $800 in damage to its structural members, Bend Fire Captain Mark Taylor reported. Between 12 and 20 bales of hay – about $100 worth - also were lost.
It took fire crews about an hour to control the blaze, Taylor said.
He also reminded homeowners to be certain that any outdoor fire is completely extinguished and “out cold” to avoid incidents of this nature.