Overloaded extension cord sparks RV fire
Nov 26,2007 00:00 by Cheryl McDermott

Fire officials say that an overloaded extension cord sparked a fire that destroyed a 29-foot fifth-wheel RV in the Deschutes River Woods area. The 72-year old owner was injured when he was removing belongings from the burning trailer.
 
Deschutes County Sheriff’s deputies and Bend firefighters responded to 19662 Manzanita Lane about noon on December 23, and found a 2004 Cougar by Keystone fifth-wheel trailer fully engulfed in flames, with nearby grass and brush igniting, Lt. Deron McMaster said.
 
Patricia and Jerry Malloy, both 72, were readying the RV for a trip when Mrs. Malloy noticed flames at the rear of the trailer near where the electrical connection is located. The Malloy’s had an extension cord running to the trailer, providing external power, McMaster reported.
 
Mr. Malloy was injured as he was removing some belongings from the trailer, McMaster said. No information on the extent of his injuries was available.

Bend Fire Battalion Chief Chief Dave Howe estimated the damage to the RV at $40,000 – a total loss.  Contents valued at $10,000 suffered an estimated $9,000 in losses.