Nov 27,2007 00:00
MANILA, Philippines -- A meeting in Manila to discuss emergency response to two typhoons buffeting the Philippines was evacuated Tuesday when a magnitude 4 earthquake hit.
Filipino President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Cabinet ministers and civil defense officials were discussing typhoons Hagibis and Mitag, which together have killed at least 25 people since the weekend, the Pacific News Center reported.
There were no immediate reports of major damage from the earthquake, which geologists said was centered 50 miles northwest of Lingayen.
Meanwhile, emergency officials said there were 23 people reported missing as a result of the two typhoons and said some 360,000 people had been affected by the winds, rain and flooding.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration said Mitag had weakened to a tropical storm after making landfall in northern Luzon, and said Hagibis would likely reintensify to typhoon status before leaving the country Thursday.
A third storm was expected to come ashore within days, forecasters said.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.