Dec 12,2007 00:00
NEW YORK -- The expanded search for human remains around the collapsed World Trade Center towers in New York is nearly complete, a city official reported.
Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler, who is in charge of the search, said in the memo to Mayor Michael Bloomberg seen by The New York Times only a small number of areas not yet accessible remain to be searched.
The secondary search was launched in October 2006 after 201 bones and partial bones were found in an abandoned utility manhole.
Skyler wrote that 15,000 cubic yards had been sifted and 1,772 possible human remains had been retrieved at a cost of $38 million.
He told Bloomberg searching will continue as demolition and construction advance but potential body parts will be examined at a portable lab rather than at the medical examiner's recovery laboratory in Brooklyn.
As many as 2,749 people were killed at the World Trade Center when al-Qaida members crashed two hijacked aircraft into each tower.
A third plane slammed into the Pentagon that day, while passengers overcame the hijackers and crashed a fourth plane into a Pennsylvania field.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.