Dec 19,2007 00:00
JERUSALEM -- Israel Wednesday rejected a cease-fire proposal from Hamas aimed at ending a series of air attacks on Gaza.
Israeli officials said the plan does nothing more than buy time for Hamas to regroup amid an Israeli air offensive that earlier this week killed two top Hamas commanders and nearly a dozen other Palestinian militants.
Voice of America said the air raids were launched in response to a long-running series of rocket attacks. The Hamas offer was basically to halt the rockets in exchange for Israel calling off its airstrikes and other incursions.
VOA said the public mood in Israel doesn't favor an immediate cease-fire. Hamas officials said the ball is in Israel's court.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.