Convenience store suffers grease fire
Jan 04,2008 00:00 by Cheryl McDermott

Bend Fire officials remind everyone of the importance of checking household and business fire extinguishers at least annually to ensure they are fully charged -– a lesson that would have been helpful to an employee at the Exxon Fast Market convenience store who was unable to put out a stove top grease fire that caused $8,000 in damage and began when she was cooking sausage early this morning.

The unnamed employee noticed the fire and attempted to use a dry-chem extinguisher, but the extinguisher didn’t work, Battalion Chief Bill Boos said.  She immediately vacated the building, and an alarm was raised about 3 a.m., January 4.

Over a dozen firefighters arrived on scene at 62980 N. Highway 97 were able to quickly extinguish the blaze using a CO2 extinguisher, which according to Boos, “mitigated the mess”.

While the cook top received minor damage, the chief estimated $8,000 in damage to the building’s contents.