Israel denies Gaza power was cut off
Jan 21,2008 00:00 by UPI

GAZA - A senior official of Israel Electric Corp. denied Monday power had been cut off to the Gaza Strip and called the allegations media "spin."

Miko Zarfati told Ynetnews.com said his workers at the electricity-generating plant at Ashkelon in the strip were working around the clock despite the danger from Palestinian rocket attacks. Palestinians had charged Sunday that power production was being crimped by the Israeli Defense Ministry's decision late last week to stop the shipment of diesel fuel needed to run the plant, The Jerusalem Post reported.

"This is Palestinian spin. No one has stopped the supply of electricity to the strip," Zarfati said. "I am being pressured to disconnect the electricity but I am, of course, a law-abiding man and I cannot do this."

An Israeli military source told Ynetnews the widely reported punitive power shortage was "media spin created and promoted by Hamas."

Palestinians get about 30 percent of their power from the Gaza Strip power plant and the other 70 percent from Israel.

Meanwhile, the Post reported Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak telephoned Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert Monday, demanding Israel stop retaliatory strikes on the Gaza Strip, expressing concern they could create a humanitarian crisis.




© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.