Las Vegas hotel failed fire inspection
Jan 30,2008 00:00 by UPI

LAS VEGAS - Fire inspectors found obstructed or broken exit doors and fire doors during a surprise visit in November of a Las Vegas hotel hit by a blaze last week.

A follow-up inspection in December found the Monte Carlo Casino Hotel was correcting violations of fire regulations, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

The Monte Carlo remained closed Tuesday following last week's fire. While flames and smoke shooting from the top floors were spectacular, the fire caused no deaths or serious injuries.

Alan Feldman, an executive with MGM Mirage, which owns the hotel, said he could not say whether correcting the violations helped save lives since the fire was in a part of the hotel not open to the public.

"They certainly didn't hurt and if anything were helpful," he said.

Ron Lynn, the head of the Clark County building department, said the hotel can reopen once damaged parts of the facade are secure.

© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.