Prince Harry to return from Afghanistan
Feb 29,2008 00:00 by UPI

LONDON - Britain's Prince Harry is being withdrawn from Afghanistan and sent back to England, British military officials said Friday.

"The decision by elements of the foreign media to report Prince Harry's presence in Afghanistan without any consultation with the Ministry of Defence is regrettable," said a statement posted on the Ministry of Defence's press Web site Friday.

The statement said the royal had been scheduled to return "in a matter of weeks" with the remainder of the Household Cavalry Regiment Battlegroup, however, "the situation has now clearly changed."

"The decision has been taken ... to withdraw Prince Harry from Afghanistan immediately. This decision has been taken primarily on the basis that the worldwide media coverage of Prince Harry in Afghanistan could impact on the security of those who are deployed there, as well as the risks to him as an individual soldier," the statement said. "Until Prince Harry returns to the United Kingdom, we would ask that the media refrain from speculating on his current location, timelines and routes."

Prince Harry's assignment was to direct aircraft to enemy positions, The Guardian newspaper said. He was in the 10th week of a 14-week tour.

© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.