Feb 29,2008 00:00
Portland Fire & Rescue investigators have determined the cause of a fire that resulted in the death of one person Monday night – a carelessly discarded cigarette.
The cigarette smoldered in a bed mattress of the southwest Portland residence until flames erupted and spread to the rest of the house, officials said.
This latest fatality brought the total fire deaths in Portland thus far in 2008 to three.
Investigators remind citizens not to hesitate to call 911 if you have a fire in your home. “Many times people will attempt to put out a fire in their home, only to have it reignite hours later,” the news release stated. There is no cost involved to have firefighters respond to your home to ensure the fire is completely out. “You will have peace of mind and safety for your family,” they said.