No one takes responsibility for N.Y. blast
Mar 06,2008 00:00
NEW YORK - No one claimed responsibility for a blast outside of a Times Square armed forces recruiting facility, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Thursday.
The early morning blast damaged the door and window of the recruiting station located near New York's theater district. Kelly said police were looking at an individual who reportedly was acting suspiciously.
"A witness says he saw an individual wearing a hooded jacket ... riding a bike in a suspicious manner," Kelly said. The witness said the individual was riding slowly and wearing a backpack.
Kelly said the simple bomb was in a U.S. Army ordnance container. Investigators were checking to see whether there was any link between Thursday's explosion and two explosions at consulates -- the Mexican consulate in October and the British consulate in 2005.
Subway service through Times Square, one of the city's major mass transit hubs, was suspended briefly and streets were closed to traffic for more than two hours until police were sure no other bombs had been placed.
"Whoever the coward was that committed this disgraceful act" will be caught and prosecuted "to the fullest extent of the law," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.
© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.