Bend man arrested for attempted murder in domestic dispute
Mar 31,2008 00:00 by Cheryl McDermott
BEND, Ore. – A 49-year old Bend man was arrested Saturday evening and charged with two counts of attempted murder and nine other crimes when a domestic dispute turned potentially deadly and he allegedly fired a shotgun "at or in the general direction of" his son, wife, and a 15-year-old girl.
Jeffrey Duane Stogsdill - DCJ photo 
The suspect’s son, Shane Stogsdill, 19, called 911 from a vehicle outside the family home at 62570 Powell Butte Highway in northeast Bend about 7 p.m., March 29, Deschutes County Sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Bilyeu said. Stogsdill reported that he had been in a physical confrontation with his father, Jeffrey Duane Stogsdill, 49, and that his father had threatened him and chased him from the home with a baseball bat.
As deputies and an Oregon State Police (OSP) sergeant were enroute to the scene, they received updated information that the father went back inside the home, got a shotgun, opened a window, pushed out the window screen and positioned himself just a few feet from his son’s car. He then allegedly fired one round from the shotgun, Bilyeu said.
When deputies and the OSP sergeant arrived, they secured the scene and contacted all involved parties.
According to a news release, statements made by the son and other victims, 47-year old Lorraine Marie Stogsdill and Rachel Michelle Cook, 15, reported that after the father appeared in the window, Shane got out of his vehicle and ran east toward a pasture. Jeffrey Stogsdill allegedly fired one live round “at or in the general direction of” his son, and “in the general direction of” his wife and the teenage girl.
Jeffrey Stogsdill was taken into custody and lodged in the Deschutes County Jail in lieu of $280,000 bail, the news release stated. He was charged with two counts of attempted murder, unlawful use of a firearm, menacing-domestic violence, menacing, three counts of recklessly endangering another person, fourth-degree assault, and two counts of pointing a firearm at another.
The investigation is continuing, Sgt. Bilyeu said.