Quake hits China province rocked last year
Mar 12,2009 00:00 by UPI

CHENGDU, China -- A strong earthquake struck a region of south-central China devastated by a massive quake 10 months ago, seismological monitors said.

There were no reports of casualties or panic, China's official Xinhua news agency said Thursday.

Cell phone service was cut off in the city of Quhe, the agency said.

The 15-second quake, whose epicenter was 70 miles northeast of the city of Mianyang, measured 4.7 on the open-ended Richter scale, the Sichuan Province seismological monitoring network said.

The U.S. Geological Survey measured the tremor at 5.0 on the Richter scale.

Mianyang is one of many places devastated by a 7.9-magnitude quake May 12 that left more than 80,000 people dead or missing less than three months before China hosted the 2008 Summer Olympic Games. Among Mianyang's dead then were 1,700 people, mostly children, killed when seven schools collapsed.

Thursday's quake is considered one of nearly 1,600 aftershocks from the earlier quake, the 19th-deadliest earthquake of all time, Xinhua said.

Copyright © 2009, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.