Texas home cleared by drain cleaner fumes
Mar 17,2009 00:00 by UPI

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Firefighters say seven members of a Fort Worth, Texas, family were hospitalized Tuesday after breathing fumes from a mixture of bleach and drain cleaner.

Fire Department Lt. Kent Worley told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that none of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening but a total of 11 people became ill, including four children.

The incident was the result of an attempt to clean out a drain using the two compounds, which generate a toxic gas when mixed.

"Put bleach in the washing machine but don't mix it with any other product," Worley said. "At all. Period."

The Dallas Morning News said Sykea Davis, one of the residents of the house, said the incident was a fluke.

"We won't mix anything else, not even peanut butter and jelly," she told KDFW-TV in Dallas.

Copyright © 2009, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.