Apr 02,2009 00:00
SONORA, Calif. -- A mass e-mail warning of reservation problems at Yosemite National Park left the U.S. park besieged with telephone calls, an official says.
Kenny Karst, public relations manager for Delaware North Cos. Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, said nearly 3,300 people with summer reservations at the national park received an e-mail saying an October landslide was threatening their plans, the Sacramento (Calif.) Bee said Thursday.
Since the recent e-mail was initially intended to only be sent to an estimated 750 people, park workers were unprepared for the sudden deluge of telephone calls.
"We are instituting an 800 number so people can call in," Karst said of park officials' response to the situation.
Karst, whose company serves as the park's vendor, told the Bee the e-mail was the result of the discovery that the park was overbooked on certain days this summer. That overbooking was itself the result of delayed plans to create more than 100 housing units in the park following last year's landslide, which destroyed nearly 230 cabins.
Copyright © 2009, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.