Jan 05,2007 00:00
Bend Weekly News Sources
The beginning of the New Year is the time to make positive changes for the coming year. The Humane Society of Central Oregon would like to suggest resolutions that are easy to accomplish and improve the quality of life of your four-legged friend and our community.
Want to give back to the community? Volunteer your time or talents to the Humane Society of Central Oregon Animal Shelter or Thrift Store. Walk dogs, play with the cats or help with adoptions at the shelter. Thrift Store volunteers help sort and display donated items.
Getting rid of the old and replacing with new items? Donate gently used items to the Humane Society Thrift Store at 5th and Greenwood. All proceeds from donations and sales help the animal.
· Update vaccinations to prevent diseases.
· Spay or Neuter your pet now to prevent pet over-population and certain diseases.
· Encourage friends, neighbors and acquaintances to have their pet spayed or neutered
· Make sure your pet is wearing an identification tag that is easy to read and has current information.
· Make a lifetime investment in a microchip identification for your dog and cat.
· Schedule a health exam for your companion animal(s).
· Take a dog training class to develop the desired behavior and make them good citizens.
· Follow County laws and get your dog licensed or the license renewed.
· Take your dog for a walk or play with them every day.
· Play with your cat every day to provide mental and physical stimulation.
· Review the canine and feline diet to make sure it is meeting your pet’s needs.
· Do the rib test (when running fingers over your pets ribs with light pressure, can you feel the ribs?) and see if a few pounds need to be taken-off to provide good health.
· Clean the cat litter box every day to make the kitty happy and prevent litterbox problems.
· Buy new toys for the dog.
· Teach an old dog a new trick.
· Check-out the new dog park and make new friends.
· Take a current photograph that shows identifying marks well, just in case the pet gets lost.
· Adopt a new friend from the Humane Society of Central Oregon or encourage others to open their heart and home to a very deserving homeless animal.
· Make a donation to the Humane Society of Central Oregon in honor of or in remembrance of a special pet or person. Donations can be made online at www.hsco.org.
To see a sample of adoptable animals visit our website at www.hsco.org or the shelter just south of Reed Market Road on 27th Street in Bend. For more information call the Humane Society of Central Oregon at 541.382.3537.